A new law was passed to tackle the opioid crisis in the United States last week. The bill received bipartisan support through Congress and was signed into law by President Trump. This legislation aims to tackle various pieces of the opioid epidemic through:
- Improving access to addiction treatment
- Lifting restrictions on Medicaid and Medicare coverage
- Supporting the creation of comprehensive opioid recovery centers
- Attempting to address over-prescription issues
- Authorizing government research into non-addictive pain-killer replacements
- Seeking to stop foreign shipments of illegal drugs to the U.S.
This law will hopefully help thousands across the country. Government statistics estimate that opioids “kill more than 115 Americans each day.” If you or a loved one is seeking treatment for opioid or other substance abuse addictions, please call us at (469) 714-0006.
Gabby Lundy, Exult Healthcare