According to Elements Behavioral Health, anxiety effects on average 40 million Americans a year (Egen, 2016). The feeling of anxiety can be different from person to person however common symptoms include:
- Racing heart
- Shortness of breath
- The feeling of being overwhelmed suddenly and for long periods
For the many Americans who suffer from anxiety, the workplace can be a place of extra stressors or triggers. Whether you are overwhelmed with tight deadlines, challenging management or feeling the weight of the office on your shoulders, these four tips are proven to help handle stress and cut down on workplace anxiety:
- Identify what about your position is causing you stress and if possible ask coworkers for assistance.
- Build a relationship with a coworker and tell them the aspect(s) of your job that causes you to feel overwhelmed. Sometimes having someone in the office that we can vent to makes us feel better.
- Write down your thoughts when you feel overwhelmed. According to NAMI “Doing a brain dump of all your
anxious thoughts—not to understand them, but just to get them “out” (Greenstien, 2018) is therapeutic for stressed-out employees. Writing down your thoughtscan also lighten anxious tensions.
- Accept your anxiety. Always understand that you can ask for help, however being afraid and trying to pretend like you don’t have anxiety when you do can make the stressful situation worse.
8 Facts About Anxiety and Anxiety Disorders.” Addiction Treatment | Elements | Drug Rehab Treatment Centers, Elements Behavioral Health, 17 Dec. 2016, www.elementsbehavioralhealth.com/mental-health/8-facts-anxiety-anxiety-disorders/.
“NAMI.” NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness, www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/February-2018/What-To-Do-if-Your-Workplace-is-Anxiety-Inducing.
Written by Aly Bowles – Social Media Coordinator